for Working People and the Poor
JOIN the TENT CITY next to the NATIONAL BIG-BUSINESS GATHERING at FORD FIELD
People's Summit & Tent City
June 14-17, 2009
Grand Circus Park, Detroit, Michigan
On June 15-17, 2009, the National Business Summit, sponsored by the Detroit Economic Club, will take place at the Renaissance Center, General Motors Corporate Headquarters. Millionaire capitalists like the heads of Conoco-Phillips, Dow Chemical, General Motors, Chrysler, Humana Inc., Ascension Health, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, BNSF Railway Co., and PVS Chemicals, and well as the presidents of the National Council on Competitiveness and U.S. Chamber of Commerce, will gather at this summit. President Barack Obama and cabinet members have been invited.
These wealthy businesspeople will put their greedy heads together to discuss “innovation and policy ideas in technology, energy, environment and manufacturing.” In other words, they will be strategizing on how to further increase their profits at the expense of the ever-shrinking middle class, the vast working class and the growing millions living in utter poverty.
The National Business Summit will be held in a city with record-high unemployment and poverty rates, lay-offs, budget cuts, school closings, utility cost hikes and shut-offs and massive home foreclosures. With a registration fee of $1,495, it is unlikely that any victims of foreclosures and evictions, let alone laid-off workers, will be able to attend the National Business Summit. No one at this event will be speaking in the interests of those most affected by the economic collapse.
The People’s Summit will be a dynamic event. During the People’s Summit, organizers will implement a moratorium on foreclosure evictions by going into the neighborhoods and supporting homeowners who are willing to confront the bailiffs. If there is a strike, demonstration or sit in, the People’s Summit will join it. The People’s Summit will confront the big-business CEOs and politicians gathering next door. Join us!
RAISE YOUR VOICES TO DEMAND:
* Bailout the people!Initiated by the Moratorium NOW! Coalition to Stop Foreclosures and Evictions
* Jobs, healthcare, housing and education for all
* Moratorium on foreclosures, evictions and utility shutoffs – housing is a right
* Stop budget cuts and restore social services funding
* Stop tuition hikes and school closings
* Moratorium on layoffs, plant closings, pension thefts and union busting – A job at a living wage is a right
* End racism, sexism and anti-LGBT attacks
* Stop attacks on immigrants
* Full rights for disabled people
* Bailout youth and students
* No more police brutality
* Jobs not Jails - For prisoners and ex-prisoners' rights
* Save the natural environment and stop global warming
* U.S. troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan
* Money for jobs and human needs, not war
5920 Second Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202
Call today to endorse, volunteer, reserve your tent space and/or make a donation